Better Business Bureau Serving Southern Arizona (BBB) recognized six organizations with a 2020 Torch Award last Thursday afternoon at its annual ceremony presented in a new online format and sponsored by South32.
“Holding this year’s Torch and Spark Awards was especially important and creating a virtual gala was ideal,” said Pamela Crim, BBB president and CEO. “Our first virtual event was well attended, guests stayed online, continuing to chat long after the program was over, and feedback was enthusiastic to hold our 2021 gala in the same manner.”
The Southern Arizona BBB Torch Awards recognizes businesses, nonprofits, and entrepreneurs whose business practices and related activities exemplify BBB’s mission and principles to ensure the marketplace remains fair and honorable. The awards focused on three categories: Business Ethics, Nonprofit Ethics, and the Spark Award for millennial entrepreneurs.
Southern Arizona 2020 BBB Torch Awards Winners Revealed
· Dynamic Comfort, LLC, AC and Heating is all about air – cool air, warm air, clean air – offering air conditioning systems, services and solutions throughout the Greater Tucson area. Dynamic Comfort operates with the philosophy to lead and live with values, saying that firms run this way will out-perform, out-do and out-live companies that don’t hold these high ethical standards. Home Advisor ratings for Dynamic Comfort are consistently 5 stars. Business Ethics (1 to 5 Employees)
· Penguin Air, Plumbing & Electrical Penguin Air Cares offers customers scheduled and emergency services 24-hours a day. In addition to their comprehensive air, plumbing and electrical needs in Tucson, Tempe and Phoenix. The company’s community outreach is an important part of its culture, partnering with local charities and relief efforts. Since, 2012, Penguin’s community partnerships have expanded to include the Phoenix Children’s Hospital, the Arizona Humane Society, Channel 3, Arizona Surprise Squad, and more. Business Ethics (6 to 20 Employees)
· Cornerstone Electrical Contractors Cornerstone Electrical Contractors is located in Tucson, Arizona. This organization primarily operates in the General Electrical Contractor business / industry within the Construction – Special Trade Contractors sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 15 years. Cornerstone Electrical Contractors is estimated to generate $2.0 million in annual revenues, and employs approximately 15 people at this single location.Business Ethics (21 + Employees)
· Cochise Family Advocacy Center was the vision of Lori and Mike Rutherford, who recognized and responded to the need to help victims of sexual abuse, assault and neglect in Cochise County. The Center supports and promotes the wellbeing of children and adult victims through comprehensive services in a neutral, friendly environment. The Center is a resource, sharing best practices in the field of abuse treatment, investigation and prosecution and a haven for victims. Nonprofit Ethics (Below 1.5 Million in Revenue)
· Mariposa Community Health Center, Inc., was founded in 1980 through the efforts of Dr. Tad Pfister, health officer for the county’s health department, in response to tremendous unmet health needs in Santa Cruz County. Since then, the Health Center now has a main campus with state-of-the-art services in Nogales and satellite clinics in Patagonia, Rio Rico and Tubac. The Health Center is able to accomplish their mission of public service through the work of over 300 dedicated staff members. Nonprofit Ethics (Above 1.5 Million in Revenue)
· Hayes Construction, Inc., is a family run business, building and remodeling houses in Tucson and surrounding communities since 1984. At the core is a history of experience in construction learned best through “on-the-job” training. From planning to construction and interior design, Hayes’ leadership creates lasting relationships with suppliers and subcontractors to build a client’s dream home. Hayes built one of the first LEED-certified homes in Tucson and continues to bring the latest in green and eco-friendly building. Hayes now offers this know-how through professional and community educational outreach. Spark Award – Entrepreneur
BBB also honored the following twelve 2020 BBB Torch Awards Finalists for their commitment to ethical practices:
· Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona
· Literacy Connects
· Marana Schools’ 2340 Foundation
· Mobile Meals of Southern Arizona
· A-Authentic Garage Door Service Co.- Tucson
· S.W.A.T. Glass, Inc
· Air Tropics, LLC
· DeMont Family Swim School LLC
· Paul Ash Management Company, LLC
· West Coast Roofing, LLC
· JKaiser Workspaces
· The Divine Sophia, LLC
Highlights of the presentation included an inspiring keynote address from Dr. Paul Melendez, Founder of the University of Arizona’s Center for Leadership Ethics. Pat Risner, President of Title Sponsor South32-Hermosa Project, spoke about being a responsible member of the local community, and Bobby Rich, President and Program Director of radio station The Drive served as master of ceremonies.
For more information on the winners and finalists or to nominate a deserving business, nonprofit or entrepreneur, contact Sean Herdrick, email@example.com, or visit us.bbb.org/soaz-torchawards.
ABOUT BBB: For more than 100 years, the Better Business Bureau has been helping people find businesses, brands and charities they can trust. In 2019, people turned to BBB more than 183 million times for BBB Business Profiles on nearly 5.8 million businesses and Charity Reports on 11,000 charities, all available for free at bbb.org. There are local, independent BBBs across the United States, Canada and Mexico, including BBB Serving Southern Arizona, which was founded in 1953 and serves Southern Arizona. For more information about the BBB and the Torch Awards, call 520-888-5353.